Lightweight music player ‘GMusicbrowser’ is to replace ‘Exaile’ as the default music app in Xubuntu 11.04.
One criticism of Exaile was it’s ‘slow and buggy’ performance when handling larger collections of music. GMusicbrowser is built with large libraries in mind, leading to better responsiveness in use.
GMusicbrowser comes with a huge set of features:
- Mass-tagging and mass-renaming
- Customizable window layouts
- Support for multiple genres and multiple artists per song
- Plugin system with Last.FM scrobbling; Wikipedia info; lyrics, etc.
It also boasts some great playback options.
- Artist/album lock : easily restrict playlist to current artist/album
- Easy access to songs related to the currently playing song
Xubuntu is likely to use a slightly improved version from The Shimmer Project which adds a new song tree layout and other UI fixes.
Xubuntu users wishing to try out GMusicbrowser can do so from the Shimmer Project PPA (Lucid through Natty) @ launchpad.net/~shimmerproject/+archive/ppa.
Firefox 4.0 will remain the default browser, thunderbird will remain the default mail client. It is as yet undecided whether LightDM will replace GDM as the default display manager.