Mozilla have today announced WebAPI – a new project tasked with standardising mobile web access to various phone-specific functionality.
WebAPI will allow web developers to create mobile-enhanced websites and web-apps without the hassle currently†attached†to developing for a†variety†of differing/competing†browsers/platforms.
By†developing†’consistent APIs across web browsers, operating systems and devices’ the project states that developers will be able to work on building services for everyone and ‘not just a specific device or vendor.’
WebAPI specifications and drafts will be submitted to W3C – the World Wide Web Consortium – for “standardization” across all browsers – not just mobile ones.
Some of the APIs to be worked on include: –
- Address Book:†Contacts API
- SMS:†Telephony & Messaging API, Contacts API
- Camera:†Camera API, Filesystem API
- Games:†Accelerometer API, Mouse Lock API
- Maps:†Geolocation API, Contacts API