The latest update to open-source media player VLC has been released, and brings with it multi-threaded decoding for a variety of popular formats.
Other new features and changes to be found in VLC 2.0 include: -
- Broadcom CrystalHD hardware decoding
- New video and audio filters
- Experimental BluRay support
- Improvements to the MKV demuxer
- SDI and HD-SDI card support for input on Linux
- Minor tweaks to interface
How to install VLC 2.0 in Ubuntu
Ubuntu 12.04 users can install the latest version of VLC directly from the Ubuntu Software Center.
Ubuntu 11.10 users will need to add the following PPA to their Software Sources:
- sudo add-apt-repository ppa:n-muench/vlc
- sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install vlc