Clutter-Flow brings a CoverFlow interface to Banshee – allowing you to browse through your music in style.
The extension uses the Clutter toolkit to provide the graphical interface and despite it currently being in Alpha, it is incredibly usable already.
Albums are sorted alphabetically and using your scroll wheel to flick through them really shows off the power of Clutter with seamless and slick animation.
The CoverFlow clone also works in full-screen mode – where it particularly shines!
Now I’m sure you want to install this – and who am i to advise you not to? Just keep in mind that this plug-in is still in development, is an Alpha and ergo things may crash. Capisce? Awesome.
Installing Clutter-Flow itself is relatively easy, though it does require the following shopping-list of dependencies: –
- Mono (v2.4 or later)
- Monodevelop (v2.0 or later)
- Banshee (v1.5 or later)
- Clutter (v1.0.6 or later)
- Clutter-gtk (v0.10.2 or later)
Installing The Dependencies
Mono, monodevelop and Banshee can all be installed via the Ubuntu Software Centre/Center.
Clutter-GTK can be installed through the terminal using: –
- sudo apt-get install libclutter-gtk-0.10-0 && libclutter-gtk-0.10-dev
To get the required versions of “the other” Clutter stuff with a minimum of fuss you’re going to need to get your hands dirty.
First of all install git-core
- sudo apt-get install git-core
We need this to be able to pull the following branches. We’ll do them one at a time.
First up let’s get and install Clutter
- git clone git://git.clutter-project.org/clutter
- cd clutter
- sudo make install
Now we need to install Clutter-sharp.
- git clone git://git.clutter-project.org/bindings/clutter-sharp
- cd clutter-sharp
- sudo make install
Providing those have all installed okay move on and install the coverflow for Banshee extension.
- Download the plugin by clicking here
- Extract the archive
- Press Alt+F2 and type
- gksu nautilus /usr/lib/banshee-1/Extensions
- Move the extracted Banshee.ClutterFlow folder into the folder that opened from the command above.
Now start Banshee!