PlayOnLinux is a WINE ‘front end’ that allows easy installation of software designed to run on Windows, but in Linux!
Unlike other WINE installation software – such as CrossOver – PlayOnLinux is entirely free, and presents an “accessible and efficient” front end for utilising the power of WINE.
Some features as noted on the official website: –
- You don’t have to own a Windows® license to use PlayOnLinux.
- PlayOnLinux is free software.
- PlayOnLinux uses Bash and Python
It’s not without it’s bug, however, and the developers note: –
- Occasional performances decrease (image may be less fluid and graphics less detailed).
- Not all games are supporwineted. Nevertheless, you can use our manual installation module.
Inserting a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM will launch PlayOnLinux’s Autorun installation assitant. (Snappy name!)
PlayOnLinux, whilst being able to assist in installing applications, also comes with a set of enabled repositories featuring popular Windows software such as Internet Explorer, Safari, Spotify and more!
The interface is very similar to Ubuntu’s (current) Add/Remove in many respects, providing an easy-to-browse cataogry layout.
You can download PlayOnLinux from the official site @ http://www.playonlinux.com/en/
Alternaivetly you can install via UbuntuTweak.