Xubuntu are looking to the community to help source a set of wallpapers for the upcoming release of 14.04 LTS.
In a contest similar to that run by Ubuntu twice a year, Xubuntu developers plan to ship a number of community-sourced designs with their next release.
The team hope to collate a ‘multifaceted set of wallpapers’ that are ‘not all blue’ (as Xubuntu’s wallpapers traditionally are). The distro’s team of artwork enthusiasts will pick a number of those entered to ship with the OS by default.
Interested in taking part?
Wallpapers, which have to be licensed under CC-BY-SA, should be submitted to the Xubuntu Wiki. A caveat to entry is that you need an Ubuntu One (formerly ‘Single Sign-On’) account in order to add your wallpaper to the Wiki page.
Some helpful tips:
- Only submit work that you own the copyright to
- Aim for a minimum resolution of 2560 x 1600
- Check that your image remain coherent in different aspect ratios
- Avoid busy, confused or distracting images
- Take in to account the placement of Xubuntu’s desktop panels
- Avoid using text – this won’t translate when used by users in other countries