Open-source Live DJ software Mixxx, developed by a community of DJ’s, saw the first beta release in its 1.9.0 cycle released alongside an update to version 1.8.x.
This update to the stable branch of Mixxx sees a routine round of bug fixes, performance improvements and the same MIDI mapping updates present in the 1.9.0 beta.
Mixxx 1.9.0 comes with a new library format that will auto-upgrade your old one but will not be backwards compatible with Mixxx 1.8.1. So take note.
New features landing in the beta include: -
- Shoutcast / Icecast support
- Mixxx can now broadcast over the internet
- External Mixer Support
- Volume normalization via ReplayGain analysis
- Revamped default skin
- Improved FLAC support
- Metadata writing
- The time counters in Mixxx now display an extra millisecond
- New MIDI mappings for, amongst others, Hercules DJ Console Mk4 and Numark MIXTRACK
- Updated MIDI mappings for Hercules DJ Control MP3, Vestax VCI-100 and more
Library improvements include:
- Played column indicates whether a song has been played in the current session already and also shows a played count
- Ratings column
- Enhanced search
- Faster library scanning on large libraries
- Inline Editing
- Record in MP3/Ogg
The developers ‘do not recommend using beta software for live performance because there will be bugs’ so any sets you might mash up with Mixxx 1.9.0 are best contained to your bedroom for now.
The official Mixxx PPA has changed. The new address for stable releases is as follows:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mixxx/mixxx
Once added install or upgrade Mixxx by running Update manager, searching in the Ubuntu Software Centre or by opening a Terminal and issuing: -
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install mixxx libportaudio2
to increase security. The old repository is still online for now, but Ubuntu users will have to follow the instructions on our downloads page (click the Ubuntu download link) to get the new versions of Mixxx we’ve just released.
The 1.9.0 Beta can be installed/upgraded using: -
sudo add-apt-repoisitory ppa:mixxx/mixxxbetas
Thanks to Chtfn