Easily and quickly edit RAW images with RawTherapee – a free multi-platform RAW converter and digital photo processing application.
Developed around the premise that most users’ only need to ‘adjust the white balance or brightness of a photo’, RawTherapee isn’t loaded with filters, fancy frames or specific editing tools, instead focusing on providing the tools most users actually need.
The result it nimble and surprisingly powerful tool for basic RAW editing needs.
Amongst the numerous features RawTherapee are: –
- Fast switching between post processing profiles
- Auto exposure tweaks
- White balance adjustment
- Arbitrary image rotation (straightening tool)
- Simple lens distortion correction
- Chromatic Aberration correction tool
- Channel Mixer
- Vignette Correction
- Crop tool
- Image flipping/rotation
- Multithreading support
The interface isn’t as pretty as you’d hope but its the features that are the ‘sell’ here and they work wonderfully.
Ubuntu 10.10 users can install RawTherapee directly from the Ubuntu Software Centre.
Ubuntu 10.04 and 9.10 users can find sources to build from on the RawTherapee homepage or add the following PPA to install the latest Alpha release: –
- sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rawtherapee/ppa
- sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install rawtherapee