The Default Application Selection for Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook edition was today discussed at the Ubuntu Developer Summit in Belgium – and threw up a few surprises!
- Chromium is to become the default browser for Ubuntu Netbook Edition – at least until Alpha 3!
- Evolution Express – the successor to the Anjal interface – was seriously considered for inclusion. Final decision rejected this in favour of Evolution with a few tweaks.
- OpenOffice remains the default office software, although Zoho webapps got an honourable mention.
- ‘Megoo Media Player’ (formerly known as ‘Cubano’ for Banshee), XBMC & Moovida were all suggested as media player replacements for the Netbook edition. Issues were raised about ensuring the UbuntuOne Music Store works for users, with no formal decision made. Meego certainly sits as the front-runner in this case, but only testing, evaluation and time will tell…
- The image application will be the same as that of the desktop, most likely Shotwell.