With the release of Ubuntu 10.04 literally just around the corner it’s once again time to think about giving OMG! a visual refresh.
Whilst previous designs were literally borne from chaining myself to my desk until i came up with something different, we think the new design needs to rock – and rock hard.
In fact the current design is just about held together with sticky tape! It is a nightmare to manage ‚Ä” I can’t move page elements around, categories don’t display correctly, the entire site seems to sit in a <frame> (somehow!).
This is where you guys n’ gals come in. We’ve seen some awesome design flair and tastes over the last few months and what better way to get a rocking new design than if you help us design it!
What are we looking for?
- An awesome new logo
- Ideas on colour schemes
- Ideas for a new layout/theme
- Other styling’s – icons, buttons, etc
- We’re hosted on blogger so if designing a complete theme try to factor in this ‚Äúrestriction‚ÄĚ. That said, there are ways around everything so if your idea is really awesome then we’ll find a way to make it work
- Think distinctive ‚Ä” We like to think that OMG! Ubuntu! isn’t the same as other blogs out there and as such we don’t want to look like other blogs out there. Originality is a much plus.
- We are called ‚ÄėOMG! Ubuntu!’. That’s two exclamation marks and an all uppercase ‚ÄėOMG!’ ;)
- We don’t do ‚Äėads’. Never will.
- Content + Navigation = important ‚Ä” ‚ÄėReally simple’ may look nice but we don’t want all of our news and posts hidden as soon as their posted. Content needs to be discoverable ‚Ä” think tag-clouds, featured post banners, top-post widgets, etc.
I’m not sure what the best way to ‚Äėorganise’ this effort is at the moment so for now feel free to post your suggestions, ideas, tips, mock-ups, critiques, what you don’t want to see/what you do want to see, etc in the comments below or by e-mailing me @ joeysneddon [@] gmail [.] com
We’re open to all suggestions as we really want this to be a collaborative effort. We’ll also be posting submissions along the way to get your feedback.